- Created: Wednesday, 20 April 2011 21:14
- Written by Chuck Topinka
In most cases you can beat your competition on Google with well optimized content - and nothing more.
I believe if you understand what we do and why we do it, you will have a better appreciation for the effort that goes into the ongoing care and feeding of Internet marketing. You will also likely realize your time is better spent running your business and just how much of a value is IPG.
Now that I have that out of the way, let me go into a little more detail on my statement about well optimized content. I'm sure there are SEO's out there just waiting to take me to task on this one.
Think about your competitors. Think about what they do with their Internet marketing. How many of them are working with an Internet marketing consultant today? How many of them regularly update their website? I am willing to bet 90% of the people who read this are
A - Small business owners
B - Either want to draw business from a local market or have a niche product
C - Only have 1 or 2 competitors (max) that currently use an Internet marketing consultant
So what does that mean? All of the really deep, complicated stuff that can be done to optimize your overall Internet presence is not necessary. It's like the old joke about the two guys that run into a bear in the woods. You don't have to outrun the bear, just the other guy.
That leads us to the essence of outrunning the other guy:
- Do keyword research to determine what terms people use and you are likely to rank for. You don't need to rank for the really short terms (called the "fat head"), aim for mid-level terms and bulk up on a bunch of them.
- Optimize your website address and the names of each page for your target keywords
- Optimize the titles of the pages to capture your target keywords
- Optimize the content on the pages to reinforce the target keywords
- Encourage people to link to your pages with the target keywords
- Create more great content on a regular basis to either reinforce existing keywords that aren't ranking yet or capture additional keywords
So there it is, over 200 algorithmic signaling factors boiled down to the bare essence of what it takes to beat 90% of the other sites on the Internet. If you would like more detail, give us a call or fill out the contact form to find out about training opportunities.